16 July 2011

Nocturne in Blue II


Nocturne in Blue II
Oil on linen/panel, 2011, 5x7"
SOLD
Today's oil painting is a nocturne of a very dramatic sky as we were leaving Detroit after giving  artist friends Ed Fella and Lucy Bates from California a tour of midtown Detroit to see how much the city has changed since their last visit. I worked with Ed in the 80's before he left for Cal Arts.  Ed was a mentor to me and  inspired me to complete artwork daily and also introduced me to the Detroit art world. Lucy is a collaborator with Ed and a long time patron and supporter of the Arts. We had a wonderful evening discussing art in our back yard and studios.
Click on image for larger view.
#1321

3 comments:

Jacqueline Gnott said...

Really nice Stephen. Dramatic colors.

oxeye said...

Stephen: Sometimes I think that clouds are the only subject a painter needs. Lower and lower horizons!

Pierre Raby said...

What a wonderful nocturne Stephen, and it looks larger than a 5x7.