December Sale 20% off all items

I am offering a 20% Holiday discount on all items in my Postcards from Detroit Store until Dec 20th Please use discount code: DECSALE2014 at checkout. Good til Dec. 20th


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

01 December 2009

Return of the Cakes




Return of the cakes

Abandoned, Portraits of Detroit #49
SOLD
oil on linen/panel, 2009, 7x5"
Today's daily painting is the return of the cakes to the Van Dyke Pastry shop on Chene Street. The store burned down and I was very surprised to see the cakes back after the fire destroyed what was left of the building. Please see the Cupcake Girls for the whole story. Also check out Funky Sour Cream for additional photos and information on this installationt
The forty-ninth painting in the Abandoned Detroit series.
#794

4 comments:

Jane said...

Wow! Thanks! I am one of the Cup Cake girls and I am honestly so touched to see the postcard.I am still speechless about the project and I miss Detroit deeply. You just made my week!
Jane

Stephen Magsig said...

Thanks so much Jane, check back tomorrow. I am posting a painting of the building, after the fire.

Pierre Raby said...

Incredible story, I am speechless -thanks Stephen for the link, also for sharing a part of the whole adventure with your paintings, a kind tribute for their resilience.

PleinEric said...

Hi Stephen,

Even without the interesting back-story - I like your painting of these cakes! Deliciously graphic in your approach... But then I have been known to enjoy desserts too.

Hope you are well,
Eric