December Sale 20% off all items

I am offering a 20% Holiday discount on all items in my Postcards from Detroit Store until Dec 20th Please use discount code: DECSALE2014 at checkout. Good til Dec. 20th


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

21 May 2009

Channel Markers


click here to bid
Channel Markers,
SOLD
oil on linen/panel, 2009, 5x7"
Click on image for larger view.
This daily painting is of some brightly colored channel markers catching some rays behind the Coast Guard Station. Such great contrast is hard for me to pass up. They look like wooden tops from another era.
#606

5 comments:

rahina qh said...

Fascinating variety of greens and reds. Could you tell me what you used to get such a dark green in the background?

Stephen Magsig said...

The dark in the bkg is Williamsburg indigo and raw umber, and a little sap green, prussian blue and mars violet.
Please try Williamsburg indigo it is the best, when I ran out I tried all the others and none compared.

Yvonne Sovereign said...

I am really enjoying following your blog. Your paintings really appeal to me. Your use of color, light and shadows are masterful!!
Yvonne

JMahorney said...

man this is great! What a sense of light from the contrast but also maintaining the high chroma light sides. It's no easy trick to make a cool color object stand out amongst warms. Just fantastic work. :)

rahina qh said...

Thanks for that Stephen, I'll see if they have it at the art shops here.