December Sale 20% off all items

I am offering a 20% Holiday discount on all items in my Postcards from Detroit Store until Dec 20th Please use discount code: DECSALE2014 at checkout. Good til Dec. 20th


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

13 September 2008

Justine Magsig's Alley Paintings

nodp


Elmore Alley #1, NFS


Elmore Alley #3, NFS


Elmore Alley #6, NFS
Click on image for larger view.
these three beautiful oil paintings are by my Aunt Justine Magsig.Those that have been following my blog know that my Aunt Justine gave me painting lessons as a child. The only oil painting education I have had.
She grew up in New Jersey, 15 miles from New York City. The only art training she had was in a studio class taught by a Polish refugee, Sigismund Ivanowski when she was 16 years old. She moved to Elmore, Ohio in 1953 and stopped painting in 1978 when she became an academic advisor to environmental students at Bowling Green state University. She came to see my 2006 show at the David Klein Gallery in Birmingham Michigan and I like to think it sparked a flame to start painting again. Justine started painting these Elmore paintings in 2007 and is now working on a series of doorway paintings. She started painting again at the wonderful age of 86 years young. Enjoy

7 comments:

Laurel Daniel said...

These are lovely. What a great legacy... I would say she "done good!" You don't know me but I am giving you the Brilliante WEBlog Award because I love your dramatic postcards from Detroit. You have an eye for great subject and interesting angles! The rules for passing on the award are on my Sept. 11 blog entry. Congratulations on your inspiring work, and enjoy. Best, Laurel

PS - I tried to post this yesterday but I guess it didn't take. I hope this one goes through.

olyaaa said...

She is really atmospheric painter - with a retro feel to her things - very in vogue these days. You must be very proud :)

Leslee said...

These are amazing.
What an inspiration!
And what a good teacher.
Which came first, the chiken
or the egg. I hope you can
both benefit greatly from
a new and ongoing dialogue.
Most impressive!

Anonymous said...

Steve -
Your aunt's paintings are beautiful. How wonderful that she picked up her brushes again! Are these scenes from the Elmore area? What size are they? Thanks for sharing pictures of them!
Jim F.

Stephen Magsig said...

Thanks Olyaaa and Leslee, It has been a wonderful and inspiring time for us.

Stephen Magsig said...

Anonymous,
These are scenes of Elmore, Ohio. The small town I grew up in and moved away from while Justine continues to live in. The sizes are around 20"x 24" I'm not sure. Glad you enjoyed them.

Terry Rafferty said...

These are wonderful paintings - each one a perfect gem. The puddle in #1, the cast shadows in #3, and that gorgeous bit of yellow in #6.... brilliant.