27 May 2008

Howard Street Tags, SOLD


click here to bid on eBay
Howard Street Tags, oil on linen panel, 7"x5"
Click on image for a larger view
Howard Street is one of my favorites, it is only about four blocks long, and has some of my favorite buildings.
This one dates to before the Civil War. It is almost always covered with graffiti and tags, which I find very interesting. The daily stimulation one is bombarded with is overwhelming. I will see more in one block of NY than I see in a month in Detroit.
Tomorrow will be the last of the NY paintings for now. There has been very good response to them so I may do more in the future and maybe start a second blog with NY paintings and photos of NY graffiti.
#308

3 comments:

Priscilla Treacy said...

This is a beautiful painting.
I love your composition, and the juxtaposition of the vertical, very formal coloumns with the almost arabesque forms of the graffiti. I also love the simple color scheme. The two colors enhance each other beautifully

Marilyn Webberley said...

Your work has a wonderful sense of place, full of atmosphere and space. I do enjoy having your posts arrive via email. Many thanks,
Marilyn

Ambera said...

Beautiful,
It's always interesting to see graffiti re-interpreted and become fine art.