December Sale 20% off all items

I am offering a 20% Holiday discount on all items in my Postcards from Detroit Store until Dec 20th Please use discount code: DECSALE2014 at checkout. Good til Dec. 20th


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

30 December 2007

La Maison Blanche, SOLD


click here to bid on eBay
La Maison Blanche, oil on linen panel, 7"x5"
I feel that this painting is one of the most successful from the Postcards from Detroit Series. It is hard for an artist to say why one particular painting to him/her is more successful than another. I guess it is part of being an artist, why you paint what you paint. What you are trying to say, how you feel about the World, yourself and what you see at the time you do the painting. Who is to say what the criteria is for a successful painting. I guess this one really speaks to me at this time and says what I want to say as an artist.

6 comments:

Hélène Gléhen said...

Hello Stephen,
I watch regularly on your blog with a lot of pleasure and must say I definitevely love your urban paintings.
This one is particularly a success. A complete union between the shadow and light. You say that it is your preferred work without being however able to say exactly why. I understand what you want to say. May be this place unconsciously reminds you a souvenir either you painted with more freedom and fervour than the others?
The painters put all their feelings at the tips of their paintbrushes.
(sorry for this long comment. I am not sure you can understand my bad english!)

Ambera said...

It's a great painting...deceptively simple at a first glance. I'm very fond of the cast shadows in this one, they really bounce off the white.
Your house also has a quiet or a lonely quality, something I've always found difficult to get when I'm painting houses..
good one.

Jason Waskey said...

I love it when that moment happens.

I think I can see a bit of what appeals to you in this work, as a herald of how you feel about the World, and what you want to say as an artist.

Kudos, Mr. Magsig!

VanDerHoekArt said...

I found your blog through the "A Reason To Paint" blog.

Your work is wonderful! I really like the unexpected compositions. I'll be back for more!

A Reason to Paint said...

It is a fabulous painting Stephen. I guess I am usually drawn to the potential for a story within a painting; so for me the appeal of this work is in the implication of the life that goes on beyond the shadows. It inspires my imagination to work and I really like that.

Deborah Paris said...

Hi Stephen. I can see why you feel that way about this piece. To me it has a monumental simplicity. Very solid forms, strong value pattern and a limited pleasing color harmony. Happy new Year! Deborah